The Nielsen Company’s third quarter “State of the Media: The Social Media Report” reveals some interesting insights as to how Internet users spend their online time.
- Nearly 4 in 5 active Internet users visit social networks and blogs
- Close to 40% of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone
- Internet users over the age of 55 are driving the growth of social networking through the Mobile Internet
- 70 percent of active online adult social networkers shop online, 12 percent more likely than the average adult Internet user
- 53 percent of active adult social networkers follow a brand
- 23 percent of the time spent online can be attributed to social networks and blog sites
Who is the Average Social Network and Blog Visitor?
She is an 18-34 year old with an average household income of less than $50,000 per year. However, as the chart below illustrates many 35-49 year olds are also spending time on social sites.
One part of the Nielsen report that may not be too surprising, is that Facebook is the social media website of choice.
Social Media and Mobile Devices
More consumers are using their smartphones to access social media. Of the top 10 categories of apps used by smartphone owners, social networking ranked third behind games and weather. Facebook was the most popular app across all operating systems.
Consumers trust recommendations from their peers. Consumer created reviews and ratings are the preferred source of information about product value, price and quality.
Connecting to the Social Media User
Internet users are spending time online visiting social media sites via their smartphones. As a retailer, it is important to connect to the increasing mobile market. Share product information on your Facebook and Twitter sites and entice your visitors with specials and promotions.
Your online store should also incorporate product reviews and ratings. Make sure you are taking advantage of the social influences. Consumers like to share their discoveries with their peers. Make it easy for them to post products they love on their Facebook page.